Wells Fargo Bank
Wells Fargo - Compare Checking
~Interviewed Working Mother
The project’s producer and I, redefined the project.
Initial ask: Remove an account from the compare experience.
Ambiguities with compare content were discovered. I took initiative to propose fixing this experience.
Problem that I had was that this was not in scope for the budget. So a complete redesign was out of the question. I worked to find a solution that was in scope and budget. This meant working with the available schema and not asking for any new interactions that needed a new module or hard coding.
I focused on the content and the flow of the experience as well as keeping my eye on the goal of the user. How to easily cross reference the checking accounts and key features available.
- Fulltime work
- Side job driving for Uber
- Maintain separate control of both accounts
- Simply set up side checking account without going into the branch
- Choose account with no or few fees
- Compare features before applying for an account
- Set aside money without fees
- Move money from one account to another easily
- Manage account from mobile application
Problem - Situation
Tasks - My Goals
• Competitve analysis of several financial product’s ‘Checking Compare’ experiences
• Identify the bullets that were not aligning across our products
• Create a presentation to pitch the proposal
Product Designer: UX/Interaction Design, Visual Design
• Presentation to Stake Holders, LOB and Legal for buy in
• Create Wireframes
• Schema maps
• Create content and documentation: Visuals, copy, icons, mockups and prototypes
• Documentation included: copy deck, interaction specs, redlines and schema map
• Tested with iRise prototype in listening lab, created interaction specs for devs
Results and Outcome
Journeys, Flows and Wires
~Justin Wells Customer
~Wells Fargo Banker
Home > Compare List > Side by Side > Detail or Open Now > Open Now
This flow takes the user directly to the list of checking accounts that can be compared side by side. This initial list is a more truncated version of the account list, it is easier to scan on both the desktop and mobile. The compare check box allows for 2 accounts in mobile and 3 in Desktop more easily than the current version where the applicant is taken to a very long scroll of options with very detailed information. Research has shown that customers want to get to this compare experience over scrolling the many accounts in the list. So I proposed a change in the flow as displayed above.
I also included proposing adding the ‘Open Now’ Primary CTA buttons throughout the experience.
This included adding legal information but it gives the user a much more streamlined way to get to the application process from anywhere
Wells Fargo Bank
The business strategy is to bring a compare checking experience that is fluid and easy to navigate. It is important that the content is relevant to what the applicants want to know and to compare. Further, keeping abreast of competitive design and interactions as well as content is important in order to serve our customers a better solution, they are comparing across banks as well as our products.
The Business Value is getting the applicant an easy way to get answers and quickly go to online Open Now in keeping with the business goal of having the applicant get an account open online without having to visit a branch.